Cross-border taxes confusion

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

coderzombie

Cross-border taxes confusion

Post by coderzombie »

Hello,

I'm not really sure what to do with my 2014 taxes and I'll appreciate any help or direction. I am a Canadian citizen and here's the timeline of of events:

[b]Jan and Feb 2014[/b]
I was in Canada and I worked as a full-time employee for a Canadian company.

[b]Apr and May 2014[/b]
I was in Canada and I worked as a contractor for a US company. They didn't pay me until I got my TN and moved to the US. They set me up as a contractor with my SSN for the first 2 months and I received the full amount for Apr and May without any tax deductions.

[b]Jun to Dec 2014[/b]
I was in the US and I worked as a full-time employee for a US company.

Questions:
- I am guessing I have to file my taxes both in US and Canada. Is this correct?
- How do I avoid getting double-taxed?
- What do I do about the Apr-May period? Do I file it as a freelancer in Canada or as a contractor in the US?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Did you move to US? If so, when?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
coderzombie

Post by coderzombie »

Mid May
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, for 2014, you file a Cdn return as an EMIGRANT, with a may depature date. On it your report WORLD income until that date, as well as departure tax (see CRA emigrant guide for details.

In US, you file a FULL YEAR 1040, reporting world income for entire year, but exclude your Cdn wages from your Cdn job as ell as the contractor income from April/May on form 2555

If there is any US income on your Cdn return, you claim a foreign tax credit for the US tax you pay on that income. You should not have any however. Since that Apr/Mat income is Cdn self-employed income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
coderzombie

Post by coderzombie »

Great! Thank you so much for your help! :D