Canadian biz charging GST - living in USA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

withbrio12

Canadian biz charging GST - living in USA

Post by withbrio12 »

I apologize in advance if this has been answered... I'm wading through all the great info on this forum!

I became a US PR in January 2014. For 2014 my main income was from my sole propietorship in BC, which charged GST to my Canadian clients for the whole year.

BUT... I was living in Maine for 90% of that year.

Questions:
- Should I not have charged GST since I was a "non-resident" of Canada?
- Or am I technically a dual-resident of Canada and the USA, since I have kept my Canadian business, Canadian bank accounts, etc?
- How do you usually decide which country to file first??? This may be a stupid question but if I have self-employment income for both countries I really don't understand how to get my net-net-income until I file one of them... but then need to declare world income??
- Lastly, is there a book on this? A course? Can I learn myself? Or should I just start budgeting $$thousands?$$ every year to hire someone to do my returns for me? If yes, how much does it really cost??

Thank you SO much for any advice / suggestions!!!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are a non-resident of canada, and should be changing your affairs, since you no longer have any benefits of running a business "in" canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
withbrio12

Post by withbrio12 »

I have ongoing contracts with Canadian businesses / individuals. Does this mean I need / should have my clients re-sign with a US sole prop and close down my CDN sole prop?

And do you know how to declare CDN sole prop income? I'm not sure if it's "Canadian source" since it's a CDN business, or "US source" since I earned it while physically in the US (working remotely).

Thanks so much!!!!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

By treaty, business income earned in canada by US residents is taxable only in US, unless you have a permanent establishemnet in canada or spend over 1/2 your time there.

It would become Cdn-sourced only if it bacame taxable in canada (by the 2 citerion above).

I leave others to answer any other business-related questions.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D