Canadian IT Contractor TN work in US - best tax approach

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Sujane80

Canadian IT Contractor TN work in US - best tax approach

Post by Sujane80 »

Even if someone is an owner of a Canadian corporation, it is best to work in the US on a TN as an individual and have taxes deducted at source then file a NR tax return these days with all the complications of going through a corporation and the tax rules that apply to that? The person working in the US would have strong ties to Canada and will not likely be in the US for more than 6 months.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The problem is that by doing this, you are subjecting both you and your client to high payroll taxes that neither of you would have to pay if you were a simple non-resident contractor.

the fact that taxes are withheld or not is unimportant. You can always forward taxes quarterly (btw, you would not even be taxable in US under the cons=ditions you describe).

I would be going the contractor route and filing the minimal corporate tax from.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Sujane80

Post by Sujane80 »

Ok so a W-8BEN or W-8BEN-e? I understand that now a Canadian corp has to use the W-8BEN-e or am I wrong.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sure.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Sujane80

Post by Sujane80 »

So which is it? Thanks.