Non Canadian Spouse

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

GlobalCitizen

Non Canadian Spouse

Post by GlobalCitizen »

I am a Canadian citizen who has been living in Canada, but recently moved to another country to get married. My spouse is not Canadian, and does not have a SIN number.

I still have income sourced from Canada (and will continue to have income from Canada in years to come) so I am required to file a return. Also, at least for 2014, I am still considered a resident by virtue of my ties to Canada.

However, I don't know how to deal with my spouse on the return. I know I'm supposed to enter my spouse's worldwide income, but is it necessary to include an ITN or TTN?

Will my spouse need to file because of me?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just because you have Cdn-sourced income does not make you a Cdn resident, nor your spouse.
Since you will be filing a non-resident return (after filing a departure return for 2014), you will not have to report her income, so long as you do not claim any of the deductions that are determined by "joint" income.

But, even if you do report her income (on page 1), you won't need a TIN for her.

How have you been reporting her income in the past?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
GlobalCitizen

Post by GlobalCitizen »

Okay, thanks! This is my first year dealing with the issue, as I was single last year.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Mazel tov!
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D