secondary ties I can keep

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

trentfrog

secondary ties I can keep

Post by trentfrog »

I want to become non resident but keep some secondary ties to canada including my rrsp, one bank account, drivers licence and passport. I have been told that it's too many ties to keep and I should get rid of all bank accounts but keep the rest on my list. Any advice on what to keep?

Many thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

How few ties you keep depends on which country you are going to.
If it is a non-treaty country (or a country for which the treaty does not allow you to become a resident easily), then your passport is about all you can have.

If it is to a treaty country that has a residence ie-breaker clause which is easy to satisfy (like US), you need not get rid of anything, so long as you have MORE ties in the other country. So, certainly if moving to US you should keep a bank account and credit card, and there is noneed to cash in RRSPs (altough you will probably eventaully want anyways).

That said, one cannot 'keep" their drivr;s license once they move -- even from one province to another let alone to another country. If you move away, your DL is no longer valid within days or weeks. So, youaren't really keeping a DL at that point. same is tru for health cobverage, unless you have pre-arrangement wih province.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D