Beneficiary IRA to Canadian resident...how is it taxed?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kbar

Beneficiary IRA to Canadian resident...how is it taxed?

Post by kbar »

I am a US citizen living and working in Canada as a Permanent Resident. I am inheriting a traditional IRA from my mother who recently died in the States. As I understand it, this money will be considered like income in that it will be taxed first in the US and then in Canada, allowing for a Foreign Tax Credit in Canada for the amount paid in US taxes. My question: is this money just added to my other income for the year and then the total taxed accordingly, or is there a special rate of tax that is applied to the IRA money? If the former is the case, then if I put this money into my RRSP (there is plenty of room to contribute), I should not see any Canadian tax on it until I withdraw it. Correct?
kbar
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well, you have US tax to pay, regardless of what you do with the funds in Canada.
It is added to all your other income on your 1040.
It is also all reported on your Cdn return, and the US tax apportioned to this money will be available as a credit on your return.

Since it cannot be considered a transfer, you would have to have contribution room to put it in to an RRSP.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
single

Post by single »

Can a Canadian resident/citizen transfer an inherited traditional IRA into their RSP?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. For a transfer to an RRSP (ie. that doesn't count against your contribution limit) the foreign pension has to be for foreign work that you performed, not inherited.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D