Cash-out RRSP/RPP vs. Annuity

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ste14mi

Cash-out RRSP/RPP vs. Annuity

Post by ste14mi »

Not looking for investment advice here, just looking at tax implications so all you annuity-haters please cool your jets.

Status: Canadian living in US since 2001, green carded since 2004.

I have about $275K in Cdn RPP and $200K in Cdn RRSP which I have been duly reporting to the IRS via 8891 every year, deferring income. Now I am going to retire in 2015 and face the decision of how to take out the money. Leaving aside the financial benefits/liabilities of annuities, does it more tax sense to cash out them both completely and deal with the tax due then (25% of total $475K, correct?) or take the money as a stream (via annuity) and pay taxes annually.

Sorry for such a basic question, but I'm just trying to get my head around the implications and figure if the 15% vs. 25% rate comes into play here.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since you are retiring, I would be streaming it out.

You don't need to do all in an annuity to get the 15%. Take the RPP as a pension or move it to a LIRA or LIF and convert the RRSP into a RRIF.

The RPP funds will be taxed at 100% in US, and the RRSP would be taxed based on the gain since 2001.

The 15% will be better meshed with your US tax rate.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ste14mi

Post by ste14mi »

Thanks for the thought-out and reasoned reply. Just the type of info I was looking for.

Thanks