OAS clawback/deferral until age 70

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Therez

OAS clawback/deferral until age 70

Post by Therez »

I applied for OAS on turning 65 in January 2012. Due to my other income 100% of the OAS has been clawed back and I expect this to continue until I retire at age 70. In effect I have received no benefit from OAS whatsoever. Effective March 1, 2113 I have read that a taxpayer can request to cancel OAS and return any benefit received and apply again at a future date up to age 70 therebye increasing the OAS benefit by up to 36% but only if an application is submitted within six months of receiving the first payment. It appears that I am out of luck in receiving an increased pension at age 70 when I expect my income will drop to the extent there will be no clawback, even if I have received nothing up to age 70.

Am I correct or is there any way around this?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That is correct. I presume you could have argued that you would have had some time (six months) after March 1 2013 to cancel, but that period has long passed.

If it's any consolation, the clawback level is proaobly being lowered so that by the time you would have gotten the higher OAS it would have all been clawed back as well.

Do you realize that if you lived in US, you would not be subject to clawback of OAS regardless of your income level?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
fifacoins2u

Post by fifacoins2u »

On account of these characteristics Crystal oscillators perform vital timing applications in many electronic devices. Instances of these are Quartz watches and Clocks,Radios, Mobile handsets, Televisions, Microwave Ovens, basically anything with an integrated circuit board will have some sort of oscillator timing device stored within it. They are also used in advanced defence instruments.How does a Crystal Oscillator work?
http://www.fifacoins2u.com/