Section 217 filing rules 2013

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Adnor

Post by Adnor »

Thank you for your time. We are awaiting the assessment and the copies of the return from CRA.
Adnor

Post by Adnor »

I did the detective work. Unfortunately he filed the return and did not keep copies. i will be glad to handle the appeal if this seems appropriate. I am confused too but greatly relieved to know we will soon receive copies of everything we need. He did not claim any foreign taxes with IRS because he thought he'd receive a refund from CRA. I thought so too.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, he did report the entire income to IRS. That is good. he can amend the 1040 once he knows what the tax will be.

at 20K, it was almost impossible for there to be 100% refund from a 217, unless he is over 65, when it would be closer. You would need as much credits as he had income. you may have to amend even the 217 to add medical expenses as I'm sure that would help.

I guess you should have handled everything.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D