Father Purchased a property in Pakistan in my name

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Tanbura

Father Purchased a property in Pakistan in my name

Post by Tanbura »

Hi,
My Father has purchased a property to gift me in year 2011 in Pakistan. He passed away and I am planning to sell it and bring money back to Canada. The property was purchased under my name however the payment was made by my Father . The only proof that I have is the copy of bank draft issued from his personal Bank Account to pay for this property which was purchased in my name. In addition a copy of form completed by him to authorize his bank to issue that draft in favor of Seller is also with me. Can I bring this amount after selling the property as gift or inheritance into Canada? What are tax implications? Value is less than 100 K. I am not a tax payer in Pakistan and am Canadian Citizen with my taxes all paid here.
PS-
My apologize if I have posted in a wrong forum but it seems like very much close to my query and standard of responses seems very professional. Thanks in advance.

Tan B
eufafiy

Post by eufafiy »

A man wearing a Democratic pin walks into a bar and sees a picture of President Bush hanging behind the bartender. He calls the bartender over and says, "You should take that picture down. George Bush is a blight upon this nation. He should be impeached."