On TN visa for 12 yrs ...returning to Canada questions

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

John2014

On TN visa for 12 yrs ...returning to Canada questions

Post by John2014 »

Hello,
Thanks in advance for any help.

I have been on a H1b visa with my first company for 3.5 years, and later on TN visa for 12 years. I am returning permanently to Canada and have questions regarding:
1 - I filed US taxes for the past 17 years. I have not filed Canadian taxes in 17 yrs as I did not work in Canada. I do have RRSP contributions that remained intact that I had from working in Canada prior to US. Have I made a mistake regarding not filing in Canada?
2- I am importing my personal car that I purchased in US in November 2013. I was informed that I will have to pay tax on 5% tax on top of $100 for AC, RIV fee, and then 8%PST. Is this correct?
3 - selling a home as well in US. Will this also affect Canadian taxes for the following year?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. of course not! you were non-resident. You had no reason to file.
2. sounds right
3. No.

You have some planning opportunities regarding your pension accounts in US.

One thing towatch, since you have been in US so long, IRS may consider you subject to expatriate tax. Read IRS Pub 519 on this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rlb

Post by rlb »

If I remember what they did to us, the taxes on your car are only on the value which is in excess of CAD 10,000. Your nearly near car will not be tax free, then of course, but you don't pay tax on the full value (again, if I remember correctly - I can't find the RIV file at the moment).

Don't forget you have to stop on the US side and officially export the car from the US, surrendering your title (if your state uses them). You ** must ** inform the US border crossing you will use 72 hours in advance, or you will wait 72 hours at the border to cross.