RRSP Withdrawal while living in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bissoj70

RRSP Withdrawal while living in US

Post by bissoj70 »

I am a Canadian, living in the US as a Permanent Resident. I cashed in an RRSP last year, have the form that shows the 25% non-resident tax withhold and my accountant here is telling me the following:

1) I owe the difference between the 25% already paid and my US tax rate
2) I owe a 10% early withdrawal penalty to IRS for cashing it out before I'm 59.5

I can almost understand #1 (not happy about it, but whatever) however #2 makes no sense to me at all. These RRSP funds were CDN dollars contributed before I left Canada 5 years ago and have not contributed to it with any US funds (can't continue to contribute to RRSP as non-resident) So how can IRS charge this penalty?

Wondering if my accountant doesn't understand something properly? should I seek a second opinion or does this sound right to people?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Before dealing with the withdaral, have you taken care of the annual filings you should have done on this account?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bissoj70

Post by bissoj70 »

Yes... every year.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Then, as you know, your US tax liability is only on the growth portion. You report the gross pre-tax on 7a of form 8891 (which you ahve filed every year) and the taxable portion on 7b, and this translates to 16a/16b of the 1040.

RRSPs are NOT subject to early withdrawal penalties.

You are dealing with someone who is clueless about cross-border matters, so be careful.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D