"quiet disclosure" - what if I filed FBAR?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

I was in a similar spot when I learned about the 3520s about three years ago, and had to backfile 6 years (17 forms!). Not fun at all. Using help on this site (especially from the "Taking a Stab at 3520" thread) I was able to do it all on my own, though it wasn't pretty and I did make a couple of filing errors that I had to correct (with a threat of a penalty, but no actual penalty demanded).

I did make one significant error that caused me to lose a lot of sleep and hair. I put all my forms in a single envelope, across trusts and years. This realy confused the IRS, and when they asked for more info I did the same thing .. the problem is that each trust and trust year are accounted for separately in their computers. So, when I sent one letter to account for my backfiling, that letter was only attached to one of the trusts.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but what I eventually learned was to file my trusts in separate envelopes, then putting all those envelopes together in a bigger envelope. That's kind of like the solution of staggering the mailings, and probably either way works fine.

But this is just a small hint to help you avoid that pitfall. Good luck!
Not a professional opinion.
gpancio

Post by gpancio »

@sunnysga and @CdnAmerican

Any and all tips/help is very much appreciated! As you know it is a pretty stressful thing to go through, with the threat of multiple $10,000 penalties over your head (esp. when those penalties would be much much more than the accounts are even worth!)

I'm slowily going through the 3520/A's, year by year, account by account. It will take a while thus I might stagger the mailings anyway, just to get some on the way while I work on the others.

TFSAs (intetest-only) seem relatively easy but so far I don't really understand how to report both transfers to an RESP (are they gratuitous? I guess so) nor the "gains" ie increase in value of the funds (I have one of those BMO portfolios of funds)

uugghh there's also CESG and "re-invested dividends" to deal with.
I'll be searching the forums for help.
sunnysga

Post by sunnysga »

May I suggest you start a new thread if you have questions about 3520 so that the title header matches the subject (for easier searching). :)
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

I did an outline of where you put different pieces of the trust (CESG, dividends, interest, contributions) on another thread, though I can't remember where right now. If you search for 3520, it should be around. It's very tricky at first but you get the hang of it after awhile.
gpancio

Post by gpancio »

Thank you. Yes I do searches for 3520- there are a lot of threads to sift through!
I'll specifically look for your posts @CdnAmerican.

I might start a new thread for specific questions.
gpancio

Post by gpancio »

It looks like this was your (CdnAmerican) post on how to fill out 3520/A:

http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Posted link here for easier reference.
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

Yep, that's the one. Note that for first-timers, there is a better thread which I also allude to near the top of mine.