Canada Deemed Disposition of mutual funds held in a US non-r

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nakubo.1974

Canada Deemed Disposition of mutual funds held in a US non-r

Post by nakubo.1974 »

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I am a married Canadian citizen and my entire family immigrated to the US in 2013. For 2013, I am filing a dual-status MFS return because it is more advantageous than filing a full-year joint return (details in my other post at http://forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?t=8223).

I have mutual funds held in a US non-retirement account. For Canada tax purposes, I am filing T1161 and T1143 (capital gains on both funds I own).

For my US taxes, I would like to step up the cost basis. Therefore, I am completing Form 8833 pursuant to Rev. Proc. 2010-19.
1) Should I use Section 4.01 or Section 4.02. Is the deemed disposition considered taxable by the United States since capital gains are generally not taxable to non-residents?
2) I entered "Canada" and "XIII(7)" in line 1.
3) What should I enter in line 2 (List the Internal Revenue Code provision(s) overruled or modified by the treaty-based return position)?
4) I entered "N/A" in line 3. Should I enter the name and address of the US mutual fund company?
5) I entered "N/A" in line 4.
6) I checked "No" in line 5.
7) I will mention Rev. Proc. 2010-19 and the Section # along with other pertinent details (mutual fund symbol and # of shares, fair market value, etc.) in line 6. I will also attach Canada form T1243.
8) Do I need to attach the Canada T1 or Schedule 3?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

you are electing under 4.02; only real property in US would be under 4.01.
You do not attach T1's etc. Only the deemed disposition form, to prove that you didn't have an overall deemed loss.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nakubo.1974

Post by nakubo.1974 »

nelsona, you are awesome! Thank you very much for all your posts on this forum.

Do I need to enter anything on line 2 of Form 8833?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I don't bother
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D