US resident RIF/LRIF withdrawals

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

artistic95

Post by artistic95 »

I am a US/CDN citizen permanently living in the US with a RIF and LRIF in Canada. I left Canada and moved back to the States in 2007 and filed all proper tax forms.
2013 is the first year I had to withdraw from my RIF and LRIF and withdrew my required minmum amounts , on a monthly basis, and was subject to a 15 % Canadian withholding tax at source.
Since I am no longer required to file Canadoan Income Tax returns, is there any way I can get any of this witholding back??
I understand the "income" allocation of the RIF andLRIF withdrawals will have to be rerported as income on my US returns--correct??
Thank you
Thanks, Artistic95
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Pension income is eligible for reduced taxation by filing a what is known as a 217 return, on which you report your world income. If your world income is sufficiently small, and your Cdn pension income is a large part of your income, then you *might* be able to reduce the tax rate on your pension below 15%.

From my experience, your total world income would have to be less than $25K for the year for this to work.

As to US taxation, I mentioned this in your other thread. The 15% tax can be used as a credit on your US tax return using form 1116, or as a deduction on schedule A.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
artistic95

Post by artistic95 »

Nelsona, thank you for your input
Thanks, Artistic95
dimancea

Post by dimancea »

Nelsona, I have a similar situation and a related question. Can you file in Canada a 217 return and at the same time claim a credit in on form 1116 in the US?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can only claim on 1116 tax was paid/due and was not refunded. So, if you file a 217 and reduce the tax, then only that reduced amount should be used on 1116.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dimancea

Post by dimancea »

Nelsona, thank you for the quick response.
dimancea

Post by dimancea »

Nelsona, I have a follow up question: Last year, I claimed the foreign tax credit, on form 1116, for the tax withheld in Canada. However, the credit amount was less than the amount withheld. I was not able to figure why. Have I possibly made a mistake or is there another reason for the discrepancy?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is normal. US tax is less than CDn tax, and foreign tax credits are based on average tax rate.
dimancea

Post by dimancea »

Thank you.
dimancea

Post by dimancea »

Nelsona, do you know if it is appropriate to enter the Canadian tax, withheld on the RIF distribution, in Schedule A of the US return, instead of using the Foreign Tax Credit form 1116? And if so, would that result in a dollar for dollar credit?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is always the choice you need to make. 1116 gives you CREDIT, dollar for dollar, except that it is never fully credited.

Schedule A gives you DEDUCTION, which by definition means reduction in tax only tt your marginal rate, not dollar for dollar.

You need to do the tax both ways and choose.
dimancea

Post by dimancea »

Got it. Thank you.