Canadian citizen now a U.S. resident (I think)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

vlpeters

Canadian citizen now a U.S. resident (I think)

Post by vlpeters »

Hi there,

I was hoping you could provide me with some insight into my tax situation. My particulars are as follows:

* I'm a Canadian citizen, working in the U.S. with a TN visa since June of 2010. I have passed the SPT (been in the U.S. 206 days in 2010, and over 31 days this year). I've read the CRA guidelines for residency and I'm pretty sure I'm a plain non-resident (not a "deemed" or "factual" one), but there could be some fine print I'm not aware of.

* I was a full-time student in Ontario for 8 months of 2010. I had tuition expenses. I will start making student loan payments this year.

* I am single with no dependents.

* My U.S. income for 2010 is approx. 25,000 and my Canadian income is approx. 22,000.

* I contributed a minimal $150. to an RRSP in 2010. The total value of my RRSP is approx. $8,000. I was thinking of withdrawing it to apply to my student loans.

* I had moving expenses this year.

That's my life in a nutshell. I've received a tax refund in Canada for quite a few years, but I'm beggining to think those days are over. Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.