with XIV repealed - what to put on W-8BENE?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

coreyw

with XIV repealed - what to put on W-8BENE?

Post by coreyw »

I have a Canadian corporation that will be doing 'Independent Consulting Services' (remotely) for a US company. No Permanent Establishment will apply. A long time ago a US client requested a W-8BEN of me to avoid source deductions in which I specified Article XIV as the reason for no withholding.

A new client has asked for a W-8BENE, which is much more complex. And with XIV repealed, what do we put in for the relevant Treaty Article and Paragraph?

With the vastly more complex W-8BENE form, all the Foreign Financial Institution (FFI) sections should not apply to a Canadian Consulting company should it?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This income now falls under Atricle VII Business profits. You are still exempt from US tax. fill W-8 as best you can.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
coreyw

Post by coreyw »

Thanks nelsona.

So probably a W-8BEN-E since it's a corporation versus a W-8BEN, which is for an individual...? And all the Foreign Financial Institution sections likely do not apply...