Which state do I live in?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MikeRitchie

Which state do I live in?

Post by MikeRitchie »

My wife and I have been living in PA and commuting to NJ for the past year - no problem - I'm a PA resident and there's a PA/NJ tax agreement that covers it.

But now I have bought a new house in NJ. I have to move out of my place in PA this wee, but the house in NJ isn't ready yet, so we'll have to live in a hotel for a while. Since it's not a permanent residence, do I become a NJ resident when I move into the hotel, or do I remain a PA resident until I have a permanent home?

Also, if we travel back to Canada and stay with friends & family for a few weeks, would that have any impact on being a deemed non-resident of Canada (I'm a dual and my wife is Canadian)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You likely remain a PA resident, since you don't have an address in NJ yet (you probably couldn't vchnage you DL, for example).

Same if you visit Canada, you don't have a home there.

Btw, you are not a deemed non-resident of Canada (which describes a very narrow group of individuals), you are a plain old non-resident of Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
MikeRitchie

Post by MikeRitchie »

Thank you nelsona! That makes sense. I was thinking of the DL example as well.

And you're right... I misspoke about being a "deemed" non-resident.