Retired Canadians moving to US with green card

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

manatee

Retired Canadians moving to US with green card

Post by manatee »

Hello,

I am a US citizen living in US and my parents are Canadians living in Canada. I wanted to sponsor them for the Green Card but they are worried about tax and health care implications.
They are both currently above 65 years of age and are getting Canadian pension. If they move to US with the green card would they file a non resident Canadian return for the CPP income and use the foreign tax credit that they pay in Canada on the US return?

They are also worried about getting health insurance. Since their pension income is low (about 20k/year) would they be able to get subsidies for ACA plans? It looks like US and Canada do not have a medicare treaty so they would have to get a plan in the US. The problem is that they are above 65 but they can't get Medicare because they haven't been in the US for 5 years, and the private insurance for people above 65 is pretty expensive.

What do Canadians who are above 65 usually do for health insurance when moving to US on a green card?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

First off =, if your parents immigrate to US, they no longer pay Cdn tax on CPP, and OAS. They will only pay flat 15% tax on any other pension they have.

They will report all their income in US, and get credit for the 15% tax they paid in Canada.

The health car costs are going to be the killer. You've shopped around and have seen this,

Cdns over 65 who don't qualify for medicare typically DON'T move to US, because of this. They snowbird back and forth 6 months a year to maintain their coverage,
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
manatee

Post by manatee »

Thanks Nelsona. Yes, they would prefer not to maintain two residences, just to have one in the US but the health care is a big expense.