Can Ctzn - work for US employer selling in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

janus10

Can Ctzn - work for US employer selling in US

Post by janus10 »

I'm a Canadian citizen and will very shortly be receiving an offer from a small US company to sell their consulting and SaaS offering. Their clients will be restricted to the US only; I will have to fly into the US occasionally to meet with the company team members and, of course, clients and prospects.

I suspect that I would spend about 60-90 days in the US on business within any 12 month period.

I will not be moving to the US - I made that clear up front.

The compensation package apparently will involve a base, commission and bonus structure with some potential for equity stake (I assume that they have created shares in the company and giving nominal amounts to at least some, if not all, employees).

I would want to retain the ability to continue contributing to CPP and maxing RRSP contributions.

From what I have read here, will all this be possible? Will I be better off creating some sort of corporation?

If there are no big caveats, then would an accountant that has expertise with this type of arrangement be able to fully guide me through this, or would I also need some other professional (e.g. tax attorney)?

TIA
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is really an immigration question first, which you need to get sorted elsewhere. Salesman visas are not generally available.

If you want to retain the "right" to pay CPP, then you will need to be self-employed. Otherwise, you are an employee working in US and subject to FICA -- SS and medicare.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D