Operating a business in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Jessica

Operating a business in US

Post by Jessica »

Is it true that Canadian corporation/sole-proprietor can conduct a business in US without any tax consequences due to the "Tax Treaty"?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As long as that business has (a) no physical assets in US -- that would rule out rental property -- and (b) you don't spend more than 1/2 of your time there.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Jessica

Post by Jessica »

Thank you for the quick reply. Just one more clarification: there will be a need to file taxes both in the US and in Canada, correct?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

That depends. You can "conduct business" in US and usually avoid US reporting.
However if you "conduct A business", that is run a business based in US, then obviously you need to file in US.

I would suggest a comprehensive evaluation of your plans done by a tax lawyer/accountant familiar with both US tax and imgration rules, rather than asking vague question with no background being given.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Post by ND »

There are still numerous scenarios that could trigger a US income tax filing requirement even where " that business has (a) no physical assets in US -- that would rule out rental property -- and (b) you don't spend more than 1/2 of your time there.", so I would suggest that you don't rely on that criteria alone.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

ND, while we are into quotes, I prefer this one:
I would suggest a comprehensive evaluation of your plans done by a tax lawyer/accountant familiar with both US tax and imgration rules, rather than asking vague question with no background being given.

Sometimes, the quality of the question governs the quality of the reply.

But, in general, that is what the treaty does indeed say, for Business income.