RRIF Withdrawals Complicated by Exchange Rate Fluctuations

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

NKy586

RRIF Withdrawals Complicated by Exchange Rate Fluctuations

Post by NKy586 »

I’m looking for advice on how to report an RRIF withdrawal on my US return in a situation where there has been significant currency fluctuation. Assume that I have filed the appropriate tax forms each year to defer the gains in the RRIF.

Hypothetical example: Let’s say I emigrated from Canada to the US a few years ago and had $100K ($CDN) in an RRSP/RRIF, and the exchange rate at the time was par. As I prepare to take a withdrawal this year, the market value is $120K ($CDN), but the current exchange rate is 0.75 so the market value in $US is $90K.

On my US return next year, will the reportable income be:

(A) (120-100)/120 = 1/6 x Withdrawal x Current exchange rate? or
(B) 0 since the current market value in $US is less than it was when I emigrated?

If (B), could I even go as far as to claim a capital loss?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

To determine the US-taxable portion of your RRIF withdrawal every year, you need the following info (all is in US dollars):

BOY: The FMV of your RRIF on jan 1 of the year.
NT: The remaining non-taxable balance of your RRIF.
G: The gross amount of your withdrawal for the year.

The taxable portion of your RRIF withdrawal would be:
G * (1 - NT/BOY); the result cannot be less than zero.

In your case the NT is the original amount, NT=$100K
Lets say that the FMV at jan 1 2016 was BOY=$90K in your example

Let's say you took out $10K
Your taxable portion would be 10 * (1-100/90) which would be zero.
You then reduce your remaining nontaxable portion by the portion that was non-taxable (in this example $10K) for next year's calculation.

You cannot claim a loss until the RRIF is completely collapsed. The whatever residual non-taxable portion you have left would be a terminal loss on schedule A.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NKy586

Post by NKy586 »

Thanks for the help.