CCPC Dividends

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kenrousselle

CCPC Dividends

Post by kenrousselle »

Can someone tell me whether CCPC dividends received by a US Citizen living in Canada are taxable in the US?

I believe they would be considered Ordinary Dividends not subject to the Foreign Earner Income Exemption, however, I'm not sure whether the Treaty exempts them from taxation.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

These are ordinary dividends. There is no treaty exemption
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
kenrousselle

CCPC Dividends

Post by kenrousselle »

Wouldn't they be characterized as Qualified Dividends as they meet the test of:
Qualified Dividends

Qualified dividends are the ordinary dividends subject to the same 0%, 15%, or 20% maximum tax rate that applies to net capital gain. They should be shown in box 1b of the Form 1099-DIV you receive.

The maximum rate of tax on qualified dividends is:

0% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at a 10% or 15% rate.

15% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at rates greater than 15% but less than 39.6%.

20% on any amount that otherwise would be taxed at a 39.6% rate.

To qualify for the maximum rate, all of the following requirements must be met.

The dividends must have been paid by a U.S. corporation or a qualified foreign corporation. (See Qualified foreign corporation , later.)

The dividends are not of the type listed later under Dividends that are not qualified dividends .

You meet the holding period (discussed next).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I'll let you figure out if your CPCC is a qualified foreign corporation. Probably is.
Does it really matter, since you will not owe any tax in US anyways after taking foreign tax credit?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
kenrousselle

CCPC Dividends

Post by kenrousselle »

Thanks, however, they paid no taxes in Canada as the amount was low enough not to attract any personal taxes after personal exemptions and deductions.

Ken
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, but what about their other income? These dividends would be lumped with all other passive income they earned, and any Cdn tax paid for the year spread over passive, and general limit income for Foreign tax credit (FTC) purposes.

But if indeed they were not taxable AT ALL in Canada, as I said, if you determine that they are qualified, act accordingly.

They may also have carry forward of FTC from previous years that they could use to cover any tax.
kenrousselle

CCPC Dividends

Post by kenrousselle »

Thanks again. They have no other income as they are a shareholder in their husband's company for which dividends were declared.

Based on all of the research I've done in this case, these dividends appear to be classified as Qualified Dividends based on the company being a qualified foreign corp. and should be taxed accordingly with an offset of FTC if applicable

Does anyone disagree? If so, why?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I take it her spouse is not a USC.
kenrousselle

CCPC Dividends

Post by kenrousselle »

No, you are correct, he's a Canadian Citizen.