CCRA being difficult about FTC for cross border commuters

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

stewak2

Post by stewak2 »

Update: I've been told it will take CRA 8-10 weeks to evaluate the documents I submitted and reach a decision.
Was also told that filing a Notice of Objection to my Notice of Assessment was not a good idea at this time. Once that is done, apparently, the file is handed over to the team that processes Objections and goes to the back of the line.
Also told that I have 90 days from last formal communication with CRA, not 90 days from when NOA was received, to file a Notice of Objection.
So, basically, wait till mid September.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Interesting, they want you to wait seventy days before filing a notice that you only have 90 days to file.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
stewak2

Post by stewak2 »

To close this out: After 10+ weeks CRA completed review and accepted return as filed. Got interest on refund due. Since I submitted IRS CP24, Minnesota Revenue cheque, and then later full IRS and Minnesota Revenue transcripts, when they arrived, I can't say for sure what was actually required.
Was told this is now a permanent requirement - transcripts - so I plan to file my US Taxes as soon as possible, wait 6 weeks, request transcripts, and then file my Canadian returns with transcripts ( if possible, anyway ).
Major PIA. I can see doing this for people with complex US income, but for salaried taxpayers with no other income than wages, it seems overkill.
But it is what it is.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

We'll have to see if they incorporate these requirements in the guide, since up til now, all that was listed was the W-2 and 1040, and clearly that isn't the case anymore.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sjantzi

Post by sjantzi »

Has this been added to the guide? I see now on the description for line 405:

If you paid taxes to the United States, attach your W-2 information slip, U.S. 1040 return, U.S tax account transcript, and any other supporting documents that apply.

Is this the guide your referring too?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Indeed! Thanks for pointing out this change, which was NOT in the 2014 version or before, but was included in the 2015 version.

No excuse for missing this requirement in future, then.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

CRA's handling of this particular situation of course, was not correct. Rather than re-assess the return and charge the missing tax, the correct way for CRA to proceed is to request the additional information. This particularly true if the taxpayer files an electronic return, since no supporting evidence would have been submitted in the first place.
sjantzi

Post by sjantzi »

Is this something we are going to need every year now? Or only if they request. This adds a lot of burden to someone like myself that works salary 100% in the USA and lives in Canada
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Looks like it will be a requirement. I think it will apply to taxes from all foreign countries, but US is specifically mentioned in the guide due to the sheer number of people in your situation.
MSS1976

Post by MSS1976 »

I just noticed this tread. Has anybody experienced any demands specifically for US tax transcripts (in addition to W2s, 1040s, etc) for the 2016 tax year? Has anybody encountered any difficulties obtaining transcripts for state tax? It appears that my state of employment, NJ, does not produce "transcripts" ([url]http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxatio ... pies.shtml[/url]). However, taxpayers can request copies of past returns they submitted. Would that satisfy the CRA ?

I submit my returns electronically, so I don't submit FTC documentation unless the CRA requests it. Haven't had a request for the 2016 tax year yet, but it's still early.