Canadian providing service to multiple companies in US from

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

GaryMc

Canadian providing service to multiple companies in US from

Post by GaryMc »

Hi there. This site has been a huge help to me. ..but I am hoping to get a bit more direct help in my situation. I provide a service to multiple clients and companies in the US. I live and work in Canada...and have done no work from the US. I have an EIN. I provide my clients with a form w8ben including my foreign tax ID. First.

Do I have to file any type of tax return?
Many clients request an ITIN. Although I am aware I don't need one. ..I would like to get one anyways. How can I do go about getting it. I have a certified copy of my passport . What else do I need. .?

Thanks so much.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I presume you mean any type of US tax return? Only if you are doing business as a corporation, you are *encouraged* to file a 1120-F simply to cover your self, but even this is not required.

The problem with trying to get an ITIN is that, as you correctly concluded, you don't need one. IRS is extremely reticent to give out ITINs for no good reason.

Which reason were you thinking about putting on the W-7, without having to file anything.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If your client is willing to fill out an 8233 with you, you could technically file a w-7 with exception 2(a).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
GaryMc

Post by GaryMc »

Thanks so much for the replies. This is certainly piece of mind.

I have a Agency that requires an ITIN to sign me on, whom I want to sign with, but as we all know, I can't get one, or have to jump through needless hoops to do so. I did get that option for filing an 8233 with one of my clients through some research as well, but it's nice to hear it from someone else to confirm the facts.

If I can't get that in order, any suggestions on how to nicely inform the Agency their practices are Archaic. I know this has changed somewhat recently as they used to throw out ITIN's like old shoes.

If I do end up getting an ITIN eventually, I WILL have to file a annual tax return as well I surmise. What specifc form would that be...? 1040NR?

Also, should I be putting my EIN number on the W8BEN form as well? It used to be on older forms, but it was removed last year from what I can see. Most clients don't care...they just want a number. The IRS instructed me to do this...which I was very hesitant to do so.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The ITIN will not force you to file a 1040NR.
GaryMc

Post by GaryMc »

That's perfect! Thanks Nelsona. You have been VERY helpful!

I am going to try to do the 8233 form.