Residency In Transit - Canada inter province

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

residencyqs

Residency In Transit - Canada inter province

Post by residencyqs »

According to Canada revenue laws, where are you a resident of when you move from one province to another [b]during your days in transit[/b]? For instance, If I move from Quebec to BC, and it takes me 7 days to drive there, where am I a resident of over those 7 days... the province I left, or the province I am going?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are resident in previous province until you establish and take up residential ties in your new province.
What is the concern?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

For most CRA issues, where you reside on the last day of the year (or last day in Canada) is what matters.
Are you saying you moved to BC over the new year?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
residencyqs

Post by residencyqs »

Is there any was to private message you nelson?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, and I never on any platform answer PMs. My answers are alwys public, for others to see and correct/verify.

Ask your questions here.
residencyqs

Post by residencyqs »

Understood. Thank you for your time.

The issue is with a Quebec provincial benefit I received, and had to be a 'Quebec resident' on a specific day to receive it.
On that date I was in transit, driving between the 2 provinces. I didn't have the intention of moving, but I never returned to Quebec due to extenuating circumstances and as such it looked like I moved.
I did not arrive in the place I 'moved' until 2 days after the date in question. So I need to know where I was a resident of on that date, while I was driving between provinces.
How would go about I finding cases that set a precedent in this matter?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

"cases that set a precedent"?!
c'mon we're talking $60 here.

Read the folio and decide for yourself:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/tchncl/ncmt ... 1-eng.html

I gave you the principle: you can't leave somewhere until you live somewhere else.
mackayr

Post by mackayr »

I bit late to the discussion here, but thought I'd add my two cents. Are we sure that this "Quebec provincial benefit" relies on income tax residency rules? Depending on what benefit it is, it may depend on a separate set of rules to determine residency. For example, you may need to be a resident of a province for 90 days in order for the provincial health care to kick in, or six months before you are required to register a vehicle. You get the idea.