Canadian, now legal alien in usa, tax advice?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

funhappytaxtime

Canadian, now legal alien in usa, tax advice?

Post by funhappytaxtime »

I worked in Canada until the summer of 2015.. then I moved to the USA in fall 2015 on a k1 visa and married my now-husband. I didn't work in the US at all. My status is currently alien resident, and I have an application out to adjust my status to permanent resident.
Do I have this right?... I've only ever filed taxes once before so I'm sorry if I've got it wrong.

1. I file "exit taxes" for Canada as a single person
2. I file jointly with my USC husband in the US, as an "alien resident", and have to include my Canadian income on this
3. we're exempt for up to 90,000$ (do I have this right?) so it won't effect our US tax bracket because I only made like $15,000 CAD
4. If I work in 2016, in the USA only, do I need to file any Canadian taxes or no?

Any other tips or info is greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if this is hard to follow, I'm really not any good at financial stuff.

Also, they mailed me gst cheques for after I had already left the country. I read somewhere I'm not actually entitled to those. Is it ok if I just don't cash them, or do I need to contact them? I forgot to tell CRA I was leaving the country.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. You file with whatever marital status you have on dec 31. Put the date you left on the return, and satid=sfy any other emigrant requirements.
2. Correct
3. Only your WAGES are exempted with form 2555.
4. no.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
funhappytaxtime

Post by funhappytaxtime »

Thank you very much :)