Non-resident tax not being withheld on Canadian Mutual funds

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

yottaflops

Non-resident tax not being withheld on Canadian Mutual funds

Post by yottaflops »

I am a U.S. resident, with a Canadian investment account holding some Canadian mutual funds. The broker knows I'm a U.S. resident. I had expected that the broker would withhold 15% of the mutual fund dividends. However, they didn't; they said that because these are Canadian mutual funds, and technically I can't buy them*, they have no way of withholding the non-resident tax for me.

*I'd owned these funds for a long time; they said they can't force me to sell them, but the account is sell-only and I can't buy any more.

They said I would be responsible for paying the non-resident tax directly to the CRA.

From this similar topic here:
forums.serbinski.com/viewtopic.php?t=10589

it sounds like I need to just write a check to the CRA for 15% of all my dividends?

Also, would I still be able to deduct the tax that I paid to the CRA on my US tax return as a foreign tax credit?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes. letter attaching your NR4/T3/T5's and explanation.

They should still be withholding form you, but if they won't....

The Cdn tax paid can be used as a credit on form 1116, passive income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
yottaflops

Post by yottaflops »

Thanks, Nelson!

One quick follow-up question: I am going through previous years' statements, and I think previous years are off too. If I remit tax to the CRA now for 2013 (for example), can/how do I get a credit for my US taxes, which I already paid to the IRS? (Since I just go by the tax forms the broker sent me, I had reported the full amount of dividends to the IRS, without claiming credit for withholding.)

If I can claim a credit for taxes I already paid to the IRS for 2013, can I claim the credit this year, or do I have to file an amendment for 2013? (assuming that I can back claim the credit)

Thanks again!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need to amend the returns, and include form 1116.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

the previous returns.