Form 3520 - is it required for NRA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

puzon23

Form 3520 - is it required for NRA

Post by puzon23 »

Hi All,

I tried to decipher the language on the form instructions and it is a little unclear to me to be certain if NRA has to do form 3520.

My gut feeling tells me no but I wanted to make sure since I have a RESP account in Canada for my kids. There were no withdrawals from the account last year, just my deposits and the government portion and interest while I was still resident there before my departure.

Any clarification would be appreciated!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you qualified to file 1040NR last year then you are not bound to file 3520 for your RESP. Nor are you required to report the income generated.
However, if you still have the RESP, you will have to file 3520 and report any income in 2016, since you will be filing 1040 this year.
Hope your took care of this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
puzon23

Post by puzon23 »

Thanks for the answer. Just to clarify. I will be filing 1040NR for 2015 so therefore as per your answer I will NOT have to file 3520 for 2015 either.

I understand that this year I will become US tax resident so I will file 1040 for 2016 next year and 3520 and other FinCEN and FBARs will come along with it.

Thank you!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and income tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D