RRSP simple question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

maminej

RRSP simple question

Post by maminej »

Hello,

I have a <10K USD RRSP in Canada, that I still regret I didn't close before moving to the US. My understanding that with that little amount, I do not need to report it as I don't meet the threshold of Form 8938.
first question . is this correct ? or should I declare it in 8938 ?

I do not have any RRSP income. I am not using that money, it just sitting there in an RRSP account, and the bank is taking account maintenance fees every now and then :oops:

I am thinking of 2withdrawing that money and pay the 25% canadian tax. I am worried about paying extra tax when declaring this in the US but I read that under the treaty, I can claim foreign tax credit for the 25%.
is this correct ?

Please let me know what would you do with a small account that cause headache every year,,
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why the regret? Had you taken the RRSP before leaving Canada, you would no doubt have paid more than 25% tax.

You should probably have closed it soon after becoming US resident, and certainly should do it now. This will solve any FBAR and FATCA issues

The 25% tax to Canada will be used as a DEDUCTION, not a credit. You can use it in calculating a credit, but since hardly any of the RRSP is taxable in US, the credit will be almost zero, The deduction will be worth more.

It is n't a treaty matter. US allows credit or deduction of foreign tax by its own rules,. no need for treaty.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
maminej

Post by maminej »

Thanks for the prompt reply Nelson.

Can you please further explain the difference you meant between deduction and credit. I am sorry, I have an engineering background and i want to educate myself.
If you know of a reference that I should read prior to posting stupid questions, please advice..

Regards,
AJ
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Sorry. You will have to read up on these. This is not a school.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Now may be a good time to collapse the RRSP as the weak loonie lowers the taxable gain in the US.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The taxable "income" (it is not considered gain) is typically not a concern when living in US since the Cdn tax more than covers any US tax.

It is ALWAYS a good time to collapse an RRSP when living in US.