Canadian on TN visa in California dual taxation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

naerak

Canadian on TN visa in California dual taxation

Post by naerak »

Hello all,

First time poster so I apologize ahead of time for any forum rules that I might break.
I have been searching answers to my questions online but I haven't had any luck until I ran into this forum.
I hope I can get my questions answered here by what appears to be some very knowledgeable people.

Some background about me: I am a Canadian working in California on a TN visa since November 2013. I filed taxes for 2013 and 2014 for both countries. I had switched jobs a couple of times in 2014. I paid about 5000 in taxes to the CRA for the year 2014. This might have been cause I owerpaid in social security. I got married in April 2015. She is an Indian citizen here with me on a TD visa. I am planning to sponsor her for Canadian PR. I do not have any income in Canada. I do have a couple of bank accounts but the balances are insignificant. I own a house with my brother as the co owner. It was rented out in 2014 but I do not receive any of the rental income. I have some money in RRSP but no investments. I visit Canada a couple of times a year to meet the family.

My questions: Do I need to file taxes in Canada? If I file to be a non-resident, can it be back dated so that I can try to get the taxes back that I paid for the year 2014.
Seconfly, would me not filing any taxes in Canada have any effect on the PR application for my wife?

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You left Canada in 2013, and should have filed your departure return then.

You will be able to file for PR status for your spouse when you have intentions to go back to Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
naerak

Post by naerak »

[quote="nelsona"]You left Canada in 2013, and should have filed your departure return then.

You will be able to file for PR status for your spouse when you have intentions to go back to Canada.[/quote]

Thanks for the prompt reply. However, it doesn't answer any of the questions I had asked.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Please read some thereads and come back with any questions you have remaining.
Non-residents don't file Cdn taxes.

Filing a tax return is not sufficient to establish plans to move to Canada with youe spouse.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D