TN - Can I file as non-resident to Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

megha123

TN - Can I file as non-resident to Canada?

Post by megha123 »

Hi Nelsona,

Thank you for the advice you gave me for my eariler query.

I forgot to mention in my earlier posting that my husband was working in US on TN visa since 2012 and me and my kids joined him in august 2014. I worked until july 2014 in Canada. So my husband filed taxes to canada as resident for 2013 and 2014. Our departure date is Jan 1st 2015 for tax purposes even though we joined him in august 2014. He didn't want to complicate so he filed as full year resident to canada for 2014. He couldn't put the departure date for 2014 as it says "enter your departure date for 2014" as our departure date is jan 2015.

Now we want to file as non-residents to canada for 2015 taxes. How can we do this? In Jan 2015 we informed our bank that we moved to US and cancelled health cards and also changed address for our rrsp. I received cctb payments until july 2015 then I called cra and mentioned them that I moved to US and paid back all the money I received from Jan to July 2015.

Thank you for your time.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your departure date is August, NOT january 1st.
You need to amend your 2014 returns.
And basially you lied to CRA, you should have given back money from August 2014 onwards.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D