TN visa tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

megha123

TN visa tax

Post by megha123 »

Hi,

We have been living in US under TN visa since 1.5 years. For 2015 do we have to file to canada as we don't own a house or no significant ties with canada. All we have is a bank account and one credit card. We cancelled ohip cards too.

If we don't file canadian taxes does cra comes after us? And while renewing TN visa do you think us not filing taxes will be an issue for TN visa renewal? TN is valid for another 1.5 years.

or do we have to file taxes as non-resident to canada?

If we have to file as residents to canada then with canada dollar dropping its value and higher canada taxes we may owe $7000 and it's so hard to pay that amount

Thank you for your time
Megha
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Well, did you prpoerly file your 2014 DEPARTURE tax retunr. On it you would have indicated your departure date, paid your departure tax, and not included any US income after that date.

You would also have advised all Cdn institutions that you were now a US resident for tax purposes.

Did you do all this? if not, at a minumu you will have to fix your 2014 Cdn return (and parhaps US one as well).

But, in general, the fact that taxes are "hard to pay" doesn't come into the equation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
megha123

Post by megha123 »

Thank you for your reply.

When we moved all our furniture we gave away to friends. We didn't have a car while in Canada. So we didn't file any departure tax return. All we did is file 2014 taxes as resident of canada and paid the ohip premium as the income was less last year so didn't owe anything to canada.

We informed our bank that we moved to USA.

Is this enough or do we have to do anything? If we file as non-residents to canada then we don't owe anything as no income from canada. My question is can we do that for 2015?

Thank you
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you filed as a Cdn resident, you would have had to include all your US income. Did you do this?

You should have indicated a departure date, and then not include US income. Right now, CRA has no idea that you left in 2014, so will be expecting a Cdn return. You should fix this before end of year.

i'm not sure what furniture has to do with departure tax. It is tax on the investments you held at time of leaving, not a list of things you are moving to US.

Please look over the Emigrant guide for CRA.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/nd ... g-eng.html

I'm afraid to ask how you filed your 2014 US tax return....
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
megha123

Post by megha123 »

Yes, we included US income for 2014 taxes. But we didn't include the departure date. But for canada child tax benefit I called and told them that we moved to USA and stopped taking the benefit from Jan this year.

We have a rrsp account. Do we have to pay departure tax for that?

We filed 1040 in USA for 2014
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You should amend your Cdn return for 2014. But good job on stopping CCTB, most people forget that. should have been done when you were moving, but at least CRA is happy.

RRSPs are not subject to departure tax. make sure you advise your RRSP holder that you are now in US

For US, did you report all Cdn income from 2014 on that 1040? That you did have to do, in order to file a regular joint 1040. That will need to be amended.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

any reason you didn't consult with this site (or other cross-border forums) earlier?
You must have realized that you could not simply do what you had done in the past?
megha123

Post by megha123 »

Yes we added canadian income in 1040.
I tried to register to this site before but got technical problems so couldn't register.

I am glad that atleast now I am registered here.

So for 2014 ammendment all we do is just include the departure date right. Anything else to include like any other tax forms?

Thank you
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Read the reference I gave you.
taylor.brodin123

TN visa

Post by taylor.brodin123 »

Hi My friend had a problem with his tn visa. He went to this site for help:

http://www.tnvisaexpert.com/

Looks like its really good so hope it help you