ITIN for Spouse

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CGY_guy

ITIN for Spouse

Post by CGY_guy »

Hello All,

My wife and I live in Canada. I have a small partnership income in US (K-1), obtained my ITIN a while ago and have been filling 1040NR as a non-resident alien.

What I want to do is to claim spousal exemption on 1040NR. My wife needs to get ITIN for that. We already tried sending W-7 and were denied, as it was explained by IRS rep checking box g in W-7 was incorrect as Canadians do not have visa and they expected to see it. She told that my wife needs to check boxes "a" and "h" as she is claiming a treaty benefit.

Can you please help as to what we need to put in "h" as explanation and/or exception and what do I need to attach, my 1040NR or something else if this is exception. I cannot really find what exception or treaty article our situation falls under...

Thanks in advance!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Is there any advantage to you using her exemption?
Any US tax you save will simply be used by CRA in the form of a smaller foreign tax credit.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CGY_guy

Post by CGY_guy »

Thanks for your reply. I should have done so, but now both US and Can tax returns have been submitted and I will have to amend Canadian one risking audit. But I learned the lesson for next year :)

Can you recommend what should I put as explanation? If they decline again I'll just pay the extra tax
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Correcting a return doesn't risk audit. And a corrected return can withstand anuy audit.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
taxiscomplicated

Post by taxiscomplicated »

Do you have any luck getting the ITIN for your spouse?

I am getting rejected when i put the Box G.
ND

Post by ND »

Only U.S. nationals, residents of Canada, Mexico, and South Korea, and residents of India who were students or business apprentices may claim an exemption for a spouse or a dependent.

ARTICLE XXIX
Miscellaneous Rules
1. The provisions of this Convention shall not restrict in any manner any exclusion, exemption, deduction, credit or other allowance now or hereafter accorded by the laws of a Contracting State in the determination of the tax imposed by that State.

reason g is only for visa, not your case when you're in Canada
taxiscomplicated

Post by taxiscomplicated »

So we can tick the box H and put the Article XXIX as the explanation??
tigerjk

Post by tigerjk »

Was there a clear answer to this question?
I'm in a similar situation except that I have a TN visa for work in the US.
I'm assuming I can tick off box g, but wanted to be sure..

Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

since this thread doesn't apply to you....