How to map classification of accounts from FBar to 8938?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ChromiumDioxide

How to map classification of accounts from FBar to 8938?

Post by ChromiumDioxide »

I've got the following accounts entered on my FBar and am now filling in an 8938 ,but can't find clear (clear to me anyway) instructions on how certain account types should be classified in the 8939. This is what I have and what I'm not sure on:

FBar -> 8938

Bank -> Foreign Financial Accounts | Deposit

RRSP|Securities -> Other Foreign Financial Asset | Type of issuer: Trust

Pension|Securities -> Other Foreign Financial Asset| Type of issuer: Trust

Investment broker|Securities -> Other Foreign Financial Asset | Type of issuer: Trust

Online gold|Securities -> Other Foreign Financial Asset | Type of issuer: Trust

Are these correct, if not what should they be? Apart from the bank accounts I'm really not sure how to enter the RRSP, Pension, Investment account and gold account on the 8939. I presume these latter ones should firstly be classified as Other Foreign Financial Accounts and not Foreign Financial Accounts.

Is that a correct assumption?
Is so then I don't know what the Issuer Type for these should be, the choices are Individual, Partnership, Corporation, Trust, Estate.

TIA for any assistance