Treaty Return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mtnman

Treaty Return

Post by mtnman »

I'm confuded, for a business that has US income but no establishment in US and time spent in US < 6months with withholding tax when filing a 1120F with form 8833 does the return include all US income and expenses ? If so how do you reduce tax owing to zero ? What form do you need to support withholding tax and who is responsible for preparing it ?

Or

Do you not include any income and expenses and file form 8833 ?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is ion the instructions that have already been pointed out to you:
---
Treaty or Code exemption. If the corporation does not have any gross income for the tax year because it is claiming a treaty or Code exemption, it must still file Form 1120-F to show that the income was exempted by treaty or Code. In this case the corporation should only complete the identifying information (including items A through M) at the top of page 1 of Form 1120-F and a statement that indicates the nature and amount of the exclusions claimed. In the case of a treaty exemption, the corporation may complete item W at the top of page 2 of Form 1120-F, which includes completing and attaching Form 8833, if required in lieu of attaching a statement....

Note. If the corporation does not have any gross income for the tax year because it is claiming a treaty or Code exemption, and there was withholding at source, the corporation must complete the Computation of Tax Due or Overpayment section at the bottom of page 1 of Form 1120-F (in addition to the information specified in the previous paragraph) to claim a refund of the amounts withheld.

---
You are excluding your gross income due to treaty.
So, on Page 1, you zero lines 1-3, put the withholding on line 5i, and request refund.

Question, how was income withheld from corp-to-corp payment?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mtnman

Post by mtnman »

Thanks Nelsona, I had forgotten that I had previously asked this question. My memory is slipping.