Deducting tax preparation fees for streamlined filings

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Bnell40

Deducting tax preparation fees for streamlined filings

Post by Bnell40 »

Canadian resident, US citizen.
During early 2015, I paid very large fees to have my streamlined filings done for 2011-2013. The fees included the 1040's and also all the 3520 and 3520-A's and FBARS etc etc. (It was a firm in the Montreal region and it was incredibly expensive. Never again...) Later during 2015, I also paid fees for a different preparer to do my 2014 1040's. So my total tax prep fees paid during 2015 are very high. I just would like to verify that I can indeed claim all these fees, for 4 years of filings, as itemized deductions on my 2015 return. (They were all paid during 2015).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, they go against your 2% threshold, so you won't get to claim much.

Cdn firms were awful in how they fear-mongered and then raked their clients with feees.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Bnell40

Post by Bnell40 »

Thanks for the help.
Actually, even taking out the 2% threshold, it is still a very big number.

Yes, I think what they did, and are doing still, is terrible, dare I say immoral. FYI, they gave me a quote to continue to do my and my two children's returns every year. It was more than what we spend in a year for groceries.

By the way, in case you're wondering: the number I am claiming is only the amount for me. I am not including the amounts paid for my children's returns.