When to notify CRA of exit

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

crossbordernut

When to notify CRA of exit

Post by crossbordernut »

The common wisdom is NOT to notify CRA of Cdn departure except by way of indicating the departure date on the exit return due the following April.

Similarly, the common advice about notifying all payors about the address change so as to sever ties and ensure proper withholding extends to Service Canada for OAS/CPP payment purposes, but CRA itself is never included on the list of who to notify.

While it is obvious that NR-73 should not be filed unless requested to do so, is there any perceived harm in simply changing one's mailing address to a US address on CRA's My Account (or by phone) immediately after factual exit (well before the exit return is due) to ensure they have correct mailing address?

Or does the perceived wisdom hold that even simply notifying them of the address change should not be done until the exit tax return is filed? One could argue that simply changing one's mailing address with CRA isn't equivalent to the official departure notification via exit return; plus it seems strange to notify all institutions of address change on exit but deliberately exclude CRA.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No one said to deliberately exclude CRA. Once simply doesn't submit an NR73. It always makes send to change address of anyone you are expecting mail from. You are simply changing your address, which does not indicate residency in any event.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
crossbordernut

Post by crossbordernut »

Thank you nelsona.
tony

Post by tony »

still confused. Do I need to notify or not? any impact? why on another thread, you mention let CRA decides? Any benefits?

thanks
tony

Post by tony »

I myself would prefer to be non resident as my salary in US will be much higher than in Canada and also the tax is lower. For these reasons,
1. should I notify them earlier? (sending NR73)
2. I am afraid they will send me child benefit. If they do, can I choose to be non resident and refund what they send?

thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Tony, you don't send an NR73 to CRA unless they ask for it. YOu will be an EMIGRANT on your departure date, and will file as such next spring. Read why you must do now, and later on the CRA website
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D