New form T1135 and IRA assets

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

patti

New form T1135 and IRA assets

Post by patti »

It looks like the CRA has a significantly revised form T1135 (Foreign Income Verification Statement) for 2013 filings.

I seem to recall that the old T1135 specifically exempted U.S. IRA accounts. The new form makes no reference to IRA's or other foreign pension assets. Do IRA assets now count towards the $100k reporting threshold?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

according to these experts, pensions are still exempt

http://www.grantthornton.ca/resources/i ... 135_NC.pdf
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
patti

Post by patti »

That offers some comfort; however, I wonder how these experts arrived at their conclusion? The old T1135 instructions explicitly exempted U.S. IRA accounts. All that wording has been deleted and there are no references to pension assets in the FAQs. Is this just careless drafting on the part of CRA or have they intentionally left it vague? Does Grant Thornton have additional information or have they made an assumption based on the prior definition of "specified foreign property"?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

remember that the definitions are set out in the tax code. The form didn't change this. Why they removed the wording? Dunno.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bbhattac

Post by bbhattac »

This article can provide a bit more peace of mind for IRA holders.

https://www.cpacanada.ca/~/media/site/c ... ipants.pdf