Tax implications in Puerto Rico

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

PRTax

Tax implications in Puerto Rico

Post by PRTax »

Hi,

I am a Canadian looking to purchase a vacation property in Puerto Rico (initially not for rent, but potentially for rental income in the years to come). I am trying to understand the tax implications of such a purchase. It is not clear to me whether the same rules as purchasing a home in the main land U.S. apply, or whether it is different.

I was hoping someone might be able to help me understand:
1) Does the concept of Substantial Presence apply when you are in the PR? i.e if I'm in PR for >31 days using "the formula", does that give me substantial presence in the U.S. requiring me to file taxes?
2) Assuming this is a long term purchase (i.e retirement, 30+ years) that would eventually make income, is it recommended to use a corporation or trust or partnership to purchase the property?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. Time spent in PR does NOT count towards the Substantial presence test, not that it would matter in the least in your case.

I would start by looking at IRS Pub 570 for their rules.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D