US citizen immigrating to Canada- when to file Canada return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

EdwardS

US citizen immigrating to Canada- when to file Canada return

Post by EdwardS »

I will be "landing" in Canada this July as a new "permanent resident"/immigrant, then returning to the US a week later. I'll be staying in the US until my home is ready to sell, which may take a year. I have no Canadian income and won't have spent more than two weeks in Canada this year. My spouse is a Canadian citizen and resident but will spend about 5 months with me in the US this year. Do I need to file a Canadian return for this year (2016) or can it wait until 2017?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You will not have established sufficient Canadian residential ties to outweigh your US ties, so will not be considered a Canadian tax resident unti;l you physically move to Canada.

Be assured that either being a Canadian resident or filing a Canadian tax return are NOT conditions of being a Canadian PR. You may remain out-of-country for 3 years.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D