Do I qualify for Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedure?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

peer

Do I qualify for Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedure?

Post by peer »

I'm having to submit amended returns for 2013 and 2014 because I didn't realize I had to check the boxes about foreign accounts in Schedule B, and file an FBAR for 2014. I used TurboTax for 2013 and 2014 and apparently this never came up.

I opened the accounts (checking and savings) in Dec 2013 before I moved to Canada, and they had a zero balance until I moved (Jan 2014).

So in the form for Streamlined Foreign Offshore Procedure, where it asks whether I was physically outside the US for 330 days, I'm checking "No" for 2013 and "Yes" for 2014.

Is this correct?
peer

Post by peer »

I assume I qualify from this excerpt:
"You must have been physically outside the U.S. for at least 330 full days in any one or more of the most recent three years for which the U.S. tax return due date (or properly applied for extended due date) has passed, and you must not have had a U.S. abode."