New Jersey taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Cangrad

New Jersey taxes

Post by Cangrad »

I am a U.S. citizen, living in Canada for almost 5 yrs. now while studying for my PhD, still on a Study Permit. I have been filing Canadian and U.S. Federal taxes each yr.

The last place to be considered as my permanent residence in the U.S. was my parents' house in NJ. This year, for the first time ever, I may have earned enough money (purely Canadian though) to exceed NJ's filing threshold, if NJ happens to still consider me a resident. If I do need to file NJ Resident taxes, what supporting papers would I need to include with the standard Resident tax return? I am paid in Canadian dollars by a Canadian entity, and I have no W-2s. Also, since I am hardly ever in NJ, what address would I put on the front page of the return? (There is absolutely no information on the NJ Treasury/Division of Taxation website regarding these points.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
Canadian Newbie

Post by Canadian Newbie »

How many days did you spend in NJ in 2015? Also, does your Study Permit expire at some point? The reason I am asking is whether NJ tax folks could argue that NJ is still your Domicile.....the place where you intend to return to.
Cangrad

Post by Cangrad »

Whether or not I have to file in NJ is also a question for which I have been unable to find a solid answer. I was only in NJ for 20 days in 2015. My Study Permit is due to expire at the end of this summer, but I will be applying this month to renew it so that it will be good at least until the end of summer 2017.

I don't own or rent any residence in NJ, but still have stuff at my parents' house in my old bedroom. I did just have to renew my NJ driver's license though, because I am driving my parents' car which is registered and insured in NJ. When I finally finish my degree, I will be applying for jobs anywhere in the U.S., Canada, or the UK/ Europe. I have no particular plans to return to NJ for work or residence.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.