Need to file W-7 for dependent daughter (for ITIN)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dazealex2

Need to file W-7 for dependent daughter (for ITIN)

Post by dazealex2 »

Hi guys,

Though my taxes were done by Deloitte, they failed to mention that I needed an ITIN for my daughter (almost 7 years old). So my US Federal return has disallowed this dependent credit. Now I need to file a W-7, but I'm not sure which option to select on this form. I have an H1-b visa, and depends are H4s.

If I look at my US Fed taxes, there is a page that says:

"Election to File A Join Return for the Year in Which the Nonresident Alien becomes a a U.S. Resident."

Question 1:

That to me suggests that option "d - Dependent of a US Citizen/resident alien" is the correct choice rather than option "g - Dependent/spouse of a nonresident alien holding a US visa". I think d is right because I'm a resident alien (with an H1B). Though g is close. I'm totally confused now.

Question 2:

Other than bringing along my daughter and her Canadian passport to an IRS Centre, is there anything else I need?

Please chime in, you guys have been the one source of information I keep having to rely on.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would use "g", since she has entered US on H4 (based on your H1).

I would bring, your return, the IRS denial letter, your passport and I-94, her passport an I-94.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dazealex2

Post by dazealex2 »

Does she need to accompany me to the IRS office?

On the W-7, line 6c. Also, I'm not sure where the "visa" number is located for the H-4 visa. I see a stamp, visa type, and a handwritten expiry date.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

She would have been issued an I-94, like you. It might be electronic.
You can go online to print a copy of the I-94.

But specifically for the W-7, I would write NA. she's is cdn so has no visa, just like you have no visa.

No need to bring her. I guess I would have her birth cert with you, just in case.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dazealex2

Post by dazealex2 »

I went to the South Market IRS office in San Jose, and was told that I needed to:

a. Fill out 1040X because they removed the dependent from my file
b. Form W-7 (had this already)
c. Have my child (dependent) present with me

So basically, all this effort, time and parking costs for nothing. :(

Makes me wonder if they just made it all up to make me go away. :(

Posting this here so it might help someone or if nelsona had any comments or seen this before. I am never going to this IRS location ever again, I'll drive 40 minutes each way to a nicer location outside of the valley.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, I should have caught need for 1040X. Having daughter present is ridiculous. What if she were living abroad (after getting h4)?
dazealex2

Post by dazealex2 »

So now I am trying to get through to the IRS line to tell them that I disagree with their assessment, and intend to file 1040X and a W-7 for my kid.

So this brings me to form 1040X. I generally like to understand things, but wanted to confirm that I did 1040X correctly. As far as I understand, I selected "Married filing jointly" because that is how the how the original return was done. That's pretty clear.

Page 1: Under "Income and Deductions", line 4, I put $11,850, 0, and $11,850.

Page 2: Part I - Exemptions:
- Line 24: Yourself and spouse. [...]: 2, 0, 2
- Line 25: Your dependent children who lived with you: 1, 0, 1
- Line 28: Total number of exemptions. Add lines 24 thorough 27: 3, 0, 3
- Line 29: Multiply the number of exemptions claimed on line 28 [...]: $11,850, 0, $11,850
- Line 30: (a) NAME OF CHILD, (b) APPLIED FOR (W-7), (c) DAUGHTER, (d) [X]

Part 3: Explanation of changes:
- Dependent daughter did not have an ITIN number on the original tax return. Therefore, filing 1040X with a W-7 to obtain an ITIN for daughter to claim the dependent credit/exemption.

Am I missing anything, guys? Also, if this is too much to ask for on the forum, I would understand.

Thanks so much. I know who I am using for 2015's tax return though. ;)