Canada Citizen and PR moved to the US - need tax advice

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

stham1

Canada Citizen and PR moved to the US - need tax advice

Post by stham1 »

Hi, I am permanent resident card holder in Canada and US green card holder in the US. My husband is Canadian Citizen, US green card holder – moved to US on Oct 1st, 2015 as well. We both moved to the US on Oct 1st, 2015.
My husband is unemployed – receives severance from the Canadian company he used to work for. I am employed by US Company (starting Oct 1st). Can we both file separately and what income tax returns would we need to file in US and Canada for 2015?
In addition, we own a home in Canada, which is currently rented out. My husband pays the mortgages and receives rental income. Do I have to report the rental income in my tax return and do I need to file NR6 and NR4 even though I am not the one who is receiving the income (if we choose to file separately)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You should file jointly for the entire year using Cdn tax as a credit on your joint 1004. This will give the best tax result.

he is no longer resident and should be complying with the renatl income rules in canada (25% witholding monthly, NR6, etc), and reporting this income (and lall other income on his US joint retunr with you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D