Property related Q

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

hellomister40

Property related Q

Post by hellomister40 »

My situation - have a home currently which served as my primary residence until I moved to the US earlier this year. I will be(hopefully) able to sell it in the next 1-2 months.

I plan to purchase another property in Canada with a friend. I wont be living in it but either my friend will live in it OR we will rent.

My Q: can I declare myself a tax non-resident in this case where I am not living physically at the address but another person on the title is living there? Is a rental agreement necessary to declare oneself tax non-resident?

Thank you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You already are a non-resident. All this changes nothing.
You live and work in US and have a place to live there. This cannot be outweighed by anything in Canada by treaty.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D