Re-entry permit vs. commuter green card tax implications

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

monana

Post by monana »

Thanks for your reply.
I applied for a re-entry permit and got "permission" to be away from the US for 2 years. I am also maintaining significant ties and a residence in the US. According to USCIS as long as I don't show intent to renounce my green card and return in due time while paying my taxes I should be fine (and we do fully intend to return to the US).

I thought IE was not mandatory (if I work as independent contractor)?
Maybe I should call CRA again.
Now I am more just worried about what to do with the wages I have already received this year, and the taxes already paid to the US...
I will probably also contact an accountant that deals with international taxes directly.
This is such a mess! :(
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You said you were an employee of the US company. Now you say you are an independent contractor? Which is it?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
monana

Post by monana »

I am an employee. But if I switch to independent contractor, I wouldn't need to pay EI, correct?
The other two solutions would be to put on a canadian payroll (but how? They are not in canada nor do they conduct business here. Would this cost them a lot?)
Or, to drive 3-4times a week to US border and perform my work from there? Sich as a coffee shop? I am about 45min away from the border....
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Exactly. Another reason to become contractor. Yo uwould have to pay both ends of CPP however, as en employee the form pays 1/2. Whuch neither of you are currently paying, which is the problem.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
monana

Post by monana »

This is probably impossible, but what if I stay as employee and cover the EI and CPP myself? (including company's contributions), do they still need a canadian payroll?

Or again, just drive across the canadian border for work....
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You aren't allowed to be covered by CPP for the same employee work, and if your form isn't paying EI, you aren't eligible to pay for it either.

You are making it too easy on firm and too difficult on yourself. Become a contractor.
monana

Post by monana »

I dont think my line of work qualifies as a contractor. The US regulations are very strict on the definition.
what are the costs/legalities associated with setting up a canadian payroll?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I think you are mistaken of the definition of contractor. Canada has stiffer rules, not US. And if you can't be a contractor, all the more reason whay you need to be set up as Cdn employee.

As for payroll. Have your firm find out. They want to keep you.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

We're done on this thread.
All the best.