Canadian Mortgage Interest and RE Taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sabad66

Canadian Mortgage Interest and RE Taxes

Post by sabad66 »

I am a dual citizen, born and raised and still live in Calgary AB. I purchased a home in Calgary on Jan 2014. In total I paid about $9000 CAD mortgage interest + $1900 local city property tax (Calgary Alberta) in 2014.

My question is, am I allowed to list these in itemized deductions? The mortgage interest under 1040SA Line 11? And then for the local city property tax on line 7?

I think this would be put me at a position where I have a higher amount than the standard deduction.

Are there any other deductions I could make with my foreign mortgaged property?

thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, you are allowed to clim these along with other Cdn income taxes paid.

However, do you really need to? Most US taxpayers living in Canada do a simple return using the standard deduction, and the foreign earned income exclusion and/or the foreign tax credit and pay no tax to US.

Finding US deductions and credits other than those is merely an exercise.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D