Dual Citizen, resident of Canada, hired by US Company

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

torontoh

Dual Citizen, resident of Canada, hired by US Company

Post by torontoh »

Hi - I'm a dual citizen and long-time resident of Canada. I've recently been offered a job by a US based company, but they are trying to figure out if they can hire me as a full-time employee or need to hire me as a contractor. How do I continue my current tax-paying set up (pay taxes in Canada, but file to US) to avoid double taxation? Sites or links are appreciated.

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As a US citizen living in Canada you can't avaoid double taxation, and never have been able to.
What you do however is now have US-based income, so mwill have tax credits on both returns.

Taxes aside however, if you continue to live and work in canad, you MUST be pais eitheras a Cdn employee, or as a contractor. If you become a US employee, it can only be because you physically work in US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D