Living in 3 countries after retirement including US & Ca

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Nishant

Living in 3 countries after retirement including US & Ca

Post by Nishant »

After retirement, I plan to live in 3 countries as follows. In own homes in each of these countries and passive incomes in each of the 3 countries.

1) Canada- 160 days
2) US- 125 days
3) India- 80 days

I am eligible medicare due to more than 10 years of service. Currently, I work in US and pay tax on world income with other two country taxes for local income.

I am not yet a green card holder but on EAD. Considering backlog for greencard, I have plenty of time to decide whether to take it or not take. Assuming that I decide not to take it, my questions are
1) Can I pay taxes to US and use medicare when in US by paying for plan B with above estimated stay?
2) Would I be considered as deemed resident of Canada if I opt for OHIP?
3) Since I am already a non resident of Canada and I would meet substantial presence test now and in future, is OHIP only factor which changes the equation?

4) After retirement, health coverage in Canada is peace of mind which outweighs taxes therefore I have no problem in declaring myself as resident of Canada but would to keep US home and cars with US registration in US home if possible.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

To be a resident of Canada one must first and foremost have residential ties. So, you would have a permanent place to live in Canada. Once that is established, you can apply for OHIP, and then meet the required 153 day presences, and keep tax residence in Canada. Because you will meet the SPT in US (but only for the first year, you need 140 days every year to meet SPT under the rolling 3 years), you need to outweigh your ties in US with thos in Canada. India doesn't really enter into the picture, I believe.

So, with a home in Canada and more time spent there than anywhere else, you will be considered Cdn tax resident, and eventually US non-resident (keeping in mind that you can always file like a US resident if you are a CDn citizen).

OHIP won't make you tax resident. Becoming tax resident will make you eligible for OHIP>
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Nishant

Post by Nishant »

1+1/3+1/6 formula for SPT requires 123 days per year ito complete equivalent 183 days in US to be a tax resident.

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

OK. So don't stay 125 days, then, stay 123. It would be silly of you to meet SPT, since you can always file a 1040 regardless. 125 days won't keep your GC if you decide to accept it anyways.

Besides, like I said, as long as you don't stay 183 days in US, you would claim closer connection to Canada.

Did I answer your question?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
hello3520

Post by hello3520 »

Even if he becomes a non-resident of Ontario, its only a 3 month waiting period after showing up in Ontario to be eligible again for ohip.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is a three month waiting period AFTER re-establishing Cdn (Ontario) residency)